PERSISTENCE!

It’s 6:57pm and the last day of the month of October. I look at my wrist watch after jogging for 57 minutes. I feel so burned out, but I am proud of a feat as such, especially in school. 57 minutes and counting! The maximum I could do was 30mins and this usually happened after I’d had a long sleep prior to running. “I know I can do this!”. However, my body confesses “Eliezer, you have reached your limit, you can do this another time.” I know there’s no other time to do this. It’s now or never!
I lope so hard and complete the last lap finally ending at 7:00pm. I feel pleased with myself. 1 hour of jogging non-stop! Well I would never have envisaged this happening! Reminiscing my past, I could pant so hard after walking for just 3 minutes. The ”problems of being fat’ are endless. I had lots of friends because they loved to look skinny any time they walked with me. I’m now jogging for 60 minutes with a feeling so high spirited people wonder if I plan to compete in the next national marathon.
Well I started jogging 4 years ago. After a loooonng period of inactivity of probably 10 years. Eating was my friend and companion. My brain could practically not tell whether I was bored or hungry. People used to bet over the large volumes of food I could eat. I felt so much joy eating.

image
I couldn’t play soccer back in high school; not because I wasn’t good. Well, I was better than most of my mates but my energy level immediately dropped from 100 to 1 every time I kicked a ball. I could heave and puff for so long everyone thought I was dying. I wondered why everyone else could play so actively but not me.
Post hoc, I would return to the dormitory and finish 2 bowls of kenkey- a local dish known for its satiety with ease – The gratification!
Then, one day during vacation. I borrowed my dad’s jogging shoes in an attempt to achieve the impossible with my fat body. I planned to run for 10 straight minutes, not even jog, and return home. I felt I was on cloud nine already, did a few push ups – 3 actually without breaking a sweat.
Then I set off. Suddenly, I started to feel dizzy after jogging a few centimetres from the gate. The world kept spinning and running in circles that I had to hold a wall to keep me from falling. My heart kept hitting hard against my chest. My stomach and legs felt so sore. “Was I burning calories already?” I asked myself as I slowly moved back to my room and continued my sleep.
I never went jogging until I got back to school. Eugene, a good friend of mine introduced me to jogging again – in a different style. He could jog for 40 minutes or more and move around afterwards like nothing had happened.
I would set the alarm at 5:30 am, however sleep could overwhelm me so much, water had to be poured on me to wake me up. I would then sulk walking 85% of the journey and jogging 2%. What I did with the rest of the journey, I have no idea!

Then I made up my mind, If he was doing it, I could do it too! He wasn’t less human than I was. He was a sports boy back in high school so he had an earlier start. I could do this, I kept encouraging myself.
I made it a daily routine, jogging at least 10 minutes every day. “Start low and go slow”. I ran every day until it became a habit. I would return feeling so sore that I slept throughout the day without attending lectures – My dad isn’t supposed to see this.
Jogging felt so good I wanted to do it often.

Now, I was jogging both in the morning and evening. 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the evening. Sometimes I would get so tired, and skip jogging for 2 solid weeks. My body, in response, would bounce back into its former state- just like a yo-yo.
How was I to unravel this mystery. The curious me kept reading about how to lose weight in various forms. The meal therapy. The water therapy. The no – sleep therapy. There were so many remedies I never knew of. So I gladly tried all, which were all exercises in futility. The yo-yo effect was so strong!
Then I let go of the bitter pill. I was ready to accept the outcome no matter what. Just keep jogging, no matter what. “Anytime I jog, it’s for my own benefit” I would say to myself whenever I started the journey.
Then, I started to jog for 20 minutes a day – in the morning, I cut down my food intake – The most painful part, and I started taking in lots of fruits.
I couldn’t see the effects but I was changing! I had lost so much weight now, that everyone who saw me asked if I had fallen ill recently. It’s amazing how everyone links losing weight to falling ill.
Physically and mentally, I was different! They say the key to a sound mind is a healthy body. Studying was less difficult now. I could walk for miles and jump rope for days, feeling so proud of myself. I checked my weight very often. It started from 90 kg dropped to 85 and finally to 70kg over the last two years.
Currently, I jog more than an hour and resume daily activities like nothing really happened. No matter how hard the journey may seem, all you need is a speck of resilience, determination and persistence. It can be done. Forget failure! If things don’t work out the way you want, hold your head high and be proud, try again. And again. And again!

image

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not! nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race. – Calvin Coolidge

Have a wonderful week!

PhotoCredit : GoogleImages and my gallery

33 Comments

1. benyinobed says:

It’s great.. .well done

Liked by 2 people

2. Eraba says:

Dear u really r motivating me. Great result i have seen u achieve.👍👍

Liked by 2 people

1. Glad I could be a motivation! You would get there

3. Vera says:

Someone is motivating me to start jogging😥😃🤔

Liked by 2 people

4. The four “P’s”
    Patience, Persistence, Passion, Pursuit
    Discovering and implementing these concepts helps a person understand what it takes to be happy AND healthy.
    Good luck discovering your four “P’s”.

1. Thank you! It’s my wish to discover these 4 P’s

Liked by 1 person

1. That is what a “lifetime” is for. Achieving them not only creates a personal sense of accomplishment, it helps YOU help OTHERS experience this as well. Enjoy the PROCESS; enjoy the JOURNEY!

5. Daal says:

love your ‘if he could do it, I could’ spirit!

Liked by 2 people

6. intrudesite says:

Very inspiring…… Conquering one self is always a bigger challenge than conquering others.

Liked by 2 people

1. So true! Just as removing the log from our own eyes is difficult than the taking out the speck in someone’s eye

1. intrudesite says:

Ha Ha , so clever way of saying ” I will win you over , never thought of conquering you !”
        Brilliant.

Liked by 1 person

2. Like it just happened accidentally.. Demanding no effort! But it takes that die hard attitude!

7. intrudesite says:

Attitude is all that counts 🙂 Nice post.

8. AmyRose🌹 says:

I know how difficult it is to START and then to keep going. I applaud you and encourage you to keep on going. The richest person is the one who has a sound mind and a healthy body AND who lives in Love. Great write … I so enjoyed reading about your success story!! 🙂 ❤

Liked by 2 people

1. Noted! Amy, Thanks so much!

9. Inese Poga Art plus Life says:

You are certainly on the right path, such efforts always matter. https://inesepogalifeschool.com/

Liked by 2 people

10. Inese Poga Art plus Life says:

Thanks! The blog which handles non-art themes is https://inesepogalifeschool.com/

11. Papberry says:

Persistence really is the key.
    When the body whispers tiredness persistence whispers one more mile, I more try, one last push… Listening to the latter is always rewarding tho tough!
    Good read and well done.

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you! Everyone needs this spirit of persistence!

12. Diana M says:

I’m motivated to go run right now and it’s 12:20am. You would make a great motivational speaker you know. Yes awesome post.
    Being persistent is the key 🔑

Liked by 2 people

1. Hahaha.. Motivational speaker 🤔 Not bad.. That’s the first time I’m being told that. The key to unlock most doors if not all

13. Eugenia says:

Excellent and motivating post. Your blog is impressive, as well. Thank you for the follow.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you! And thanks for following me back!

14. Jacque' says:

The wife and I really love this blog and appreciate the creativity and inspiration you provide. If you ever want to take this blog to the next level by offering a Mobile App version my company Zenlight would love to help for an extremely low price, we appreciate the hard work you have put into this blog and wish you all future success in business and in life.

Thank you for your time, it is the most precious thing we all possess.
    -Jacque’

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks for passing by too Jacque!

Liked by 1 person

15. Hahaaa..I never thought you were fat when I saw you. Great transformation. I need this too😂

Liked by 1 person

1. Hahaha.. of course you do!